You can just go ahead: www.giantpad.com
Want the story behind? Here it is:
I’ve been taking notes in plain text for a long time. Before Giantpad I used notepad++ to keep notes and tasks. It’s fast and I like the color highlighting. But notepad++ is not online and when I work in several projects at the same time I get tab overload.
I already knew what was out there so I thought: Why don’t I do a site where:
- I always edit in plain text.
- If I write, it highlights specific text (called markdown).
- Looks like a notebook/notepad (what I mean is, it looks like a blank page).
- Runs something like little notepad++ macros (just to cleanup tasks).
- Groups pages/notes (I called them projects).
So I did it. First version was done in about 4 afternoons. It was like having notepad++ good parts distilled into a really crappy web app.
I also started nagging my wife about it: “This is the best thing since toilet paper!” “You have to try it, it’s like notepad++–” “bla bla la”
So she tried it. And all the bugs came crawling out!
And so the fumigation started. For the following months these were some of the things I said to her:
- “Yeah, it does that sometimes”
- “It’s supposed to be ugly! The css file is like 20 lines! What is css you ask?”
- “How did you do that?? You must be doing some kind of Mortal Kombat finishing move!”
- “Yeah, you can’t do that yet”
- “You need to refresh the page. No? Ctrl + F5? Reboot?”
- “When I said the little green icon was safer, I was not talking about this site…”
- “I was watching Giant Bomb and thought of a domain name. Try to guess!”
I was iterating. Bought a theme; destroyed the theme; installed ssl; automated daily backups; changed the menu(s) at least 5 times; and so on.
So one day I said to her:
“I did an update today. If you forget your password, it sends you an email. Can you test?”
“I don’t know… What if I get locked? Can I lose my notes?”
“No no no, it’s ok. Even if it fails, I can reset in the database like the last time. And I tested it at least 5 times already. And we have the backups of yesterday!”
“Can we do it when I get home? I prefer to do it together.”
By now I was thinking “What the hell! Why doesn’t she trust me? It’s been stable for so long!”
But then I found out why: She was checking recipes using GiantPad from her iPad (Giantpad it’s still very buggy in the iPad,not tested yet), taking notes for her research, and she even had her contacts there!
And she used it in strange ways. I have always 2-5 tabs open with notes (that is why I made the icon yellow, so I could find it among my tabs) but she only uses one tab all the time that she detaches from the rest. And she always zooms and doesn’t use any shortcuts.
She was really using the site and didn’t want to lose access to her notes! Mystery solved.
After that I thought: I could polish it a bit, try to get some people to pay and help me improve it.
The signups are limited because I don’t know how much the server can handle. And yup, we are the only 2 users at the moment. We like to think of it as a club more exclusive than the club of people who went to space…
Try it and let me know what you think: www.giantpad.com